A few words about LNH
LNH 56 YEARS & BEYOND
Liaquat National Hospital & Medical College, located at the center of the city is the largest private sector tertiary care hospital serving the society for the last 56 years. This non-profit organization, which started out with four outpatient services and 50 beds, has now approximately 700 beds covering an area of nearly 53 acres with 30 medical and surgical specialties providing both inpatient and outpatient services keeping the tradition of delivering distinguished health care facilities LNH excels in providing the most advanced methods of diagnosis and treatment of nearly all clinical disciplines. It has the latest diagnostic, therapeutic & preventive healthcare facilities and is equipped with state-of-the-art advanced technology and fully-equipped operation theaters. It provides 24 hours emergency, pharmacy, laboratory and radiology services including nuclear medicine facilities
|–||****** Diseases||–||Infectious Diseases|
|–||Cardiac Thoracic Surgery||–||Oncology|
|–||Dental and Maxillofacial||–||Ophthalmology|
|–||Diabetic Care and Endocrinology||–||Pediatrics|
|–||Emergency Care||–||Plastic Surgery|
|–||Gynecology & Obstetrics||–||Urology|
Today, LNH is known for its excellent faculty, nurses and staff specialized in every aspect of medical care. Always placing the patient’s need as the top priority and providing the highest standards of clinical care available in Pakistan, it caters approximately 25,000 emergencies, 60,000 inpatients and over 260,000 outpatients each year.
LNH after entering the field of education in 1978 now stands in a new era of continuous professional development and technological improvement.
To its ambit are:
– An institute for Postgraduate Medical Studies and Health Sciences.
– A Medical College
– A College of Nursing
– A Skills Laboratory
– A School of Physiotherapy
The hospital also offers residency training programs, in a majority of the existing disciplines, recognized for fellowship by the College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP). It includes certain disciplines which are also recognized by different Royal Colleges in the UK.
Over time, LNH has dramatically expanded and refined the expertise it offers, but still retains its founder’s guiding principle of service not only to its patients’ but also to its employees.
Soon after independence, the Red Cross Fete Committee, chaired by Syed Wajid Ali Shah, raised Rs. 8 lacs through Meena Bazars organized under the guidance of Begum Rana Liaquat Ali Khan. At a momentous meeting presided over by Begum Rana Liaquat Ali Khan, the Committee decided to establish a hospital in Karachi under the name “The National Hospital”.
His Excellency Mr. Ghulam Muhammad, the Governor General of Pakistan, laid the foundation stone of “The National Hospital” on February 23, 1953. In memory of Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan, it was decided to rename “The National Hospital” as “Liaquat National Hospital”.
The vision of the founding members of this hospital was to establish a non-profit healthcare unit for the less privileged to seek help in medical crisis or just address their everyday medical needs. To achieve this goal, a committee was constituted and Mr. Syed Wajid Ali Shah (Late) was selected as the President of this distinguished group on November 5, 1958. Presently, his eldest son Mr. Syed Shahid Ali Shah is carrying forward the mission. Through the years, LNH has maintained its identity and followed its mission of providing affordable and high-quality healthcare services to all classes of the society.
LNH provides state-of-the-art medical care and quality assured treatment to all. It is dedicated towards serving humanity irrespective of caste, creed, color or religion; with a desire to develop and maintain itself as an epitome of excellence in healthcare.
We at LNH take pride in the fact that we always give our utmost services in case of any tragedies or untoward events that erupt in the city. We carry the notion that anyone & everyone who needs medical attention is our concern and we try our level best to fulfill our commitment towards the society.
TRIBUTE TO SYED WAJID ALI SHAH
Syed Wajid Ali Shah, the head of the Ali family and the founder & president of Liaquat National Hospital was born on December 20, 1911, in Lahore and was the third son of Sir Syed Maratib Ali. He received his early education in Lahore and later studied at the Government College and then joined the Indian Army as a commissioned officer and served the army during the World War II.
In early 1940s Mr. Syed Wajid Ali Shah left the army to join the family business. His father assigned him the responsibility of the work in Bombay. The Ali family was a staunch supporter of the Pakistan Movement and Syed Wajid Ali Shah got to know Quaid-e-Azam very closely. He assisted the Quaid in his political work and was very close to him and Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah. He was nominated as a member of the committee, on behalf of the Muslim League, to oversee the referendum in the North West Frontier Province.
After the birth of Pakistan and demise of the Quaid-e-Azam, Syed Wajid Ali Shah disassociated himself from political activities and devoted himself to the family’s business and philanthropic work. As an industrialist, Syed Wajid Ali shah established and managed many industrial projects. Among his major projects was Ali Automobiles, a Ford car manufacturing unit, which was taken over by the government in 1973. He also set up and managed the Abbasi Textile Mills Limited, Rahimyar Khan; which was established in 1945 and was famous for its bed sheets, towels and other cotton products. He was also the Chairman & Managing Director – Packages Limited and served as the Chairman of Treet Corporation Limited, Zuleqar Industries Limited, Loads Limited & Wazir Ali Industries Limited and Gulab Devi Hospital
Syed Wajid Ali Shah worked inevitably to provide health services and sports facilities to the people of Pakistan. His activities in the health sector included his efforts in establishing Liaquat National Hospital, Karachi, in 1953 dedicated to provide the most modern health care facilities to humanity.
Among his other contributions in the area of health included his association and services to the Pakistan Red Crescent Society where he served as a chairman from 1968 to 1998. As a result of his association with the Red Crescent, he also remained a member of the International League of Red Cross and the Red Crescent Societies, Geneva, for a number of years. He also served as the president of the ICRC Finance Commission from 1978 to 1981.
Syed Wajid Ali Shah’s dedication to sports has been exemplary and goes a long way to 1978 when he joined the Pakistan Olympic Association as its president and remained in this position till 2004.
His natural leadership took him from Pakistan to the international level where he became a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1959. He remained a member of the prestigious body till 1996. In view of his unprecedented services to the Olympic movement, he was made an honorary member of the IOC in 1996. His other positions in the IOC were: member of the Finance Commission of the International Olympic Committee; member of the Coordination and Supervising Committee for the IOC/NOC Relations 1967-68, vice-president of the Coordination and Supervising Committee for IOC/NOC Relations 1968-71; member of the Enlarged Commission for Press and Public Relations 1968-72; member of the Commission of Enquiry for Rhodesia 1973-75.
Another area, which Syed Wajid Ali Shah, touched was of culture and arts in which he had a deep-rooted interest. He became the chairman of the All Pakistan Music Conference in 1960. The conference introduced and promoted many classical singers and performers. On another scale, he envisioned and established the Institute of Islamic Culture in 1952. The institute, of which he was the chairman, promoted harmony among various Islamic scholars and common Muslims by publishing various books and articles of famous scholars.
He passed away on June 14, 2008.