King Edward Medical University is a medical university located in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Founded in 1860, the university is named after Edward VII.
Established by the British Raj, named as Lahore Medical School. In 1868, the University of Dublin granted students of the Lahore Medical School ”privilege similar to the granted to students from English schools”. In 1871, the university added Mayo Hospital as an affiliated hospital, replacing the existing Anarkali Dispensary. The same year the college became an affiliate of University of the Punjab, while in 1887, the university added Lady Aitchison Hospital as a second teaching hospital.
After Pakistan’s independence, the university became the only medical college in the country and in 2005 became a charter to award degrees in its own right. It has since gone through expansion, and overseas seven tertiary referral hospitals including the Lady Willingdon Hospital.
Currently, the university is ranked 6th amongst the medical universities of Pakistan by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan